Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter!

On Saturday me and the kids made these cute cupcakes. I used the "Perfect Lemon Cake" recipe from "My Kitchen Cafe" blog. (there's a link to it on my side bar) It was such a good recipe. They were delicious! Actually too delicious. I've eaten more than anyone! Plus I think coconut and lemon are a good match. You will have to try it. It taste like summer and makes you happy! Then we colored our Easter eggs. The kids did a great job. Look at all those pretty colors!
Easter morning the kids woke up to find that the Easter Bunny visited our house. He hid all the eggs the kids colored the night before around our house. After they found the eggs we went to church. After church we had some friends of ours over for a nice dinner and some fun activities.
Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of my boys before church this year. But I was able to get a picture of Courtney in her new Easter dress since she reminded me to. I've always wanted to make her an Easter dress but have never got around to it. This year Easter came so fast for me since we just got back from vacation, I was not even thinking about it. So all my shopping was last minute. Anyway, on Friday I was feeling domestic so I decided at the last minute to sew Courtney an Easter dress. I had a tub full of left over scraps of fabric so I decided to see what I had and came up with this. This is the first dress I have ever made not using a pattern. I am actually surprised it fit so well. The teal satin was scraps left over from a brides maid dress I made before I was even married! The white satin bow is scraps from my wedding dress my mom made me. The white polyester her dress is made out of is scraps from my temple dress I made me a while ago, and the sheer on top is scraps from Courtney's blessing dress I made her when she was born. So the whole thing is pieced together and cost me nothing, but is sentimental. Her gloves are from her Cinderella costume and were added as a finishing touch. So Courtney really liked it. Especially the strand of pearls I sewed on (left over from a purse handle I made her for Christmas) I felt bad though because she said the dress was so itchy. I don't have a searger so the satin makes a mess inside. If my mom were to make this dress, she would have sewed in a liner so it would look and feel nice on the inside too. I'm not as good of a seamstress as she is so she had to live with the itch. I told her when Grandma comes to visit, maybe she could fix it and make it not so itchy.
Easter egg hunt #2: After dinner the kids got to look for plastic eggs filled with candy in our back yard. They each found 30+ eggs! Way too much candy!!!
After the Easter egg hunt, we headed to the park to fly their new kites. The wind was perfect for kite flying. The kids had so much fun.
Courtney's kite went up the easiest. She had all her string let out and her kite was flying high! She thought there was nothing to it. The boys had a little harder time than Courtney, but soon they were all up in the air. It was a great day! (The date on the camera is wrong. This is Easter 2009)

6 comments:

JulieJ said...

I'm very impressed with your sewing skills and without a pattern. I'm mastering sewing a straight line.

The Freed Family said...

I can't believe you made that dress...at the last minute, and without a pattern.

Adam and Laurin said...

Wow I totally need to come take sewing lessons!!! You did a great job... The cupcakes are adorable what a great idea!

Tina said...

Cute dress :) I remember loving Easter dresses...maybe I will get one next year.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

SHUT UP! I knew you were amazing - but I wish you would stop proving it so much!

Annette said...

I cant believe you made that dress and those adorable cupcakes! I'm going to start calling you Susy Homemaker!