Sunday, October 2, 2011

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Please Cut Your Hair!

                                           
     Some how Courtney managed to talk me into allowing her to have long hair "like Rapunzel", over the summer. Against my better judgement, I relented. It's not so much the look I have a problem with, but mainly the up-keep of it. Courtney's hair is really thick and has just enough curl to it that it gets in a tangled, matted mess daily! It is no easy task to comb through it each morning! That too wouldn't be so bad, but Courtney claims to have a very sensitive scalp and would scream like she was in tremendous pain every time I barely touched her hair with a brush. She assured me she could get all the snarls out herself. So I often let her do her own hair. It was summer, after all. When it came time for us to go somewhere and I wanted her hair to look descent, I would find the most mangled, unmanageable hair ever! It would take so long to comb it out even after using tons of conditioner and detangler! I had had enough! I had been preparing her in advance telling her that she would soon be getting her hair cut so she could get use to the idea. She would just cry and cry every time I mentioned it. She sure loved those long golden locks! I agreed they were cute when she let me put them in pony tails or braids or ribbons. Anything really, just so it didn't look like a mess. But her favorite was to just wear it plain and down. Just like Rapunzel.

 I mentioned her up coming hair cut so often that she started telling me that the only way she was getting her hair cut was if her best friend, Brinley got her hair cut too. I informed her that we had no say in what Brinley did with her hair and that she would be getting hers cut either way. In one last attempt to delay the inevitable, she said Indian girls wore their hair in long braids and that we just couldn't cut her hair before the family reunion or she would not look like an Indian. She was seriously devastated by the thought of dressing up in her Indian costume and having short hair! I couldn't resist her reasoning and gave in one. last. time. It was official though. The date was set. As soon as the reunion was over, the hair was gone!
She begged to at least be able to KEEP her hair. I was not happy with that idea either, but at least it would be cut and the creepy braid could mysteriously disappear one day in the near future.

Ahh! So fresh. so clean. and so manageable. I just look at her now and love it more everyday! I got my cute little girl back!
And bonus:  Brinley showed up at our doorstep sporting her new do! Brinley's hair was even longer than Courtney's. She had enough inches taken off she was able to donate it!
The two girls just stared at each other and giggled.

Then they held hands and ran into the bedroom to find matching clothes.

Thank you Brinley! You made the transition stage a much smoother one for both me AND Courtney!

1 comment:

Anthony Thompson said...

I would hate to be your daughter. You're really controlling and mean. Did you enjoy making her cry time after time? Did it (and the haircut) make you feel powerful?